Thriving during and beyond the COVID-19 crisis
Our Covid 19 Response came as a result of the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in Uganda. The Project started in March of 2020 after the Ministry of Health reporting the first Covid-19 case in Uganda. The Project is a response to the call of the Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social development for local organizations to support in the combating of the Pandemic and its effects to the people of Uganda. The Project is run by volunteer Youth in the community.
The Response is to protect the community through the COVID-19 crisis by fostering resilience through the lock-down, and rebuilding after the crisis. Only through resilience and rebuilding can vulnerable communities in Kammengo thrive during this Global crisis.
Corona Virus is a deadly virus that spreads through tiny drops of fluids that spread when someone coughs, talks, sneezes or laughs. The Disease has killed more than 4 million people around the World.
Together, we can protect ourselves and the little ones against this Pandemic.
*Avoid Mis-information, if you are not sure about any claim, ask reliable sources like the Ministry of Health or the World Health Organisation
The government tried to provide food to those who were so vulnerable and the affected ones but unfortunately Mpigi district which hold Kammengo sub-county wasn’t considered in the food distribution exercise. This left families without Gardens extremely vulnerable. Cloth markets are still closed leaving children that had 1 or 2 pairs of clothing to barely walk naked as they have to wear the same clothes every day until they are torn to pieces.
With the Pandemic, came outbursts of domestic violence, child abuse. This has, on an additional note, affected greatly the already vulnerable families leaving children and mothers the punching bags as fathers are frustrated by how they can still sustain their families. Children have to work to provide extra financial support to their families.
In the next year parents who have spent their capital and savings, if their businesses aren’t supported to revive, their children will not be able to attend school because they will not be able to afford school dues. Some children will decide not go back to school because they have already started to taste the 'sweetness' of money as they are now involved in child labor. Children’s academic poor performances are to be affected greatly as they can’t have access to revision that is provided by the government only through televisions
We teach families how they can start small businesses with only 50,000UGX. The identified vulnerable families will receive a grant of 50,000UGX as well as Business skills that will allow them boost their finances. The Project is expected to benefit over 500 vulnerable families
Each person or family is planned to be given $13.51 as an emergency startup support in this lockdown to upgrade the family’s financial system.
Supporting Vulnerable families out of Poverty and help rebuild sustainability of Covid-19 hardly-hit families
• Security free: Most vulnerable families in Kammengo don’t have securities needed to receive loans from banks and other micro finance associations. The project is to give security free micro loans for easy access to sustainability.
• Support groups: Not only is the project going to provide micro loans but also to provide an avenue of savings and business ideas to the families through the support groups. This will maximize the potential of families to grow financially.
• Identification & Assessment: The involvement of the local leaders and the assessment of the families will enable us to support those that are moderately and critically vulnerable; those that need help most.
• Easy & stress free: The project will give an easy and stress free loan within 1 working day.
• Low interest rates: The project is to give out loans at the lowest possible and achievable interest rate of $ 5.40 per month.
• Secure mechanism: The giving of micro loans through groups will help us minimize theft and misuse of the loans.
Child poverty is accelerated by Covid 19 Pandemic
Start a site - See it